Friday, March 1, 2013

Crime after the Civil War

"It will take fifty years to wipe it out of the human heart, if ever. I know this, that after the Civil War in 1865, crimes of this sort increased, marvelously. No one needs to tell me that crime has no cause. It has as definite a cause as any other disease, and I know that out of the hatred and bitterness of the Civil War crime increased as America had never seen before. I know that Europe is going through the same experience today; I know it has followed every war; and I know it has influenced these boys so that life was not the same to them as it would have been if the world had not made red with blood. I protest against the crimes and mistakes of society being visited upon them. All of us have a share in it. I have mine. I cannot tell and I shall never know how many words of mine might have given birth to cruelty in place of love and kindness and charity."

 In one part of his Speech, Mr. Darrow gives the Civil War all the credit for the crime, that America and even Europe is experiencing at that time. Everybody knows the Civil War was a time of hatred, disgust, and anger. America did not want to lose and Europe did not want lose. Their was a lot of dreadfulness going on with both sides. Darrow is saying that even after the Civil War ended, people did not forget how to not be angry and to not hate everybody that was not like them. This forgetfulness per say, is the reason that crime is increased. Another one of Darrow's main themee is cause and effect. Darrow, throughout his speech, gives a very popular example cause and shows how this has effected not only his defendants, but also the rest of the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment